Friday, January 26, 2007

I've moved on...

Friday night is my night at home to do whatever - after I walk the dog of course (3 hours today, almost a dog walking record). This evening I worked on some of my "I can make it cheaper than I can buy it projects". Since I got a new sewing machine for Christmas, lots of these projects involve sewing. After making several new stuff sacks, and some really great travel pillows, I've moved on to more complicated projects.

I've wanted a macabi skirt since I saw them online a couple years ago. However, I wasn't able to justify the $75 USD plus shipping then and I still can't. I was very excited when Ali took the plunge and purchased one, so I could check it out before deciding I really needed one. After looking at it, I decide that I could make something similar at about half the cost. With the help of the folks at Textile Outfitters and a pattern I bought at Fabric Land, I think I've got it.

The finished product is a beautiful orange-red color. It doesn't have all the features of the macabi skirt - its not magically going to convert to "pants" and it doesn't have "self-draining pockets" (by that they mean mesh). And at the moment it doesn't shorten up, but that can always be added on later. But the basics are there.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my skirt. It should do the trick for traveling, canoeing and camping. I'll hopefully get to "field test" it for all those purposes over the summer, but for now its pretty comfortable over my merino long-undies for lounging around.

My next project I think will be a new pair of fleece pants for canoeing/camping, and then a new backpacking tarp.

No comments: