Friday, November 24, 2006

I've got worms

I got them from my mother, who got them from Jon, who got them from a prof of his way back in undergrad. They live under our kitchen sink and every so often I open them up and feed them.

I've got so many of them, that when you open up the lid, you can hear them moving through the dirt. You don't even need to lean in, you can hear it from a safe distance away. They form these massive balls around the food source and when you dig a hole to place things in, you're not moving dirt, you're moving a mass of worms.

They're quite efficient, they can eat pretty much anything that isn't animal based or contains high amounts of fat. At at their current population levels, they are going through about 3 cups a week. Sometimes its a struggle to find enough food for them but I guess it keeps them in check.

My mother keeps a tub at school. She lets her students feed them. I think it promots healthy lunches - if you don't bring fruit or vegetables, what are you going to feed the worms?

2 comments:

A said...

You know what would go well with your worms? An Ant Farm. We could both get an ant farm, build up our colonies. Then every couple of months we could gather our best solider and war against each other. Perhaps Jon would be more interested though in this new form of Cock fighting. I'll be in touch.

Jenny said...

That plan has Jon written all over it. I will pass it on to him.